Tuesday, December 6, 2011

10th Enemy Has The Bomb

Good afternoon, fellow humans. Today, I make for the final piece of the Triforce! Dungeon 8, here I come!

From my map, I see I've already found Dungeon 8, so I can just make my way there pretty easily from Dungeon 2. I first warp to the Fairy Fountain to heal, then whistle my way to Dungeon 2. Only a few screens away is the staircase where a lonely bush once covered the entrance, which I enter, excited.

I could go any direction. I choose left, and immediatly I'm met with Manhandla, from a few dungeons ago! There're also a few fireball-spewing statues, so I've got to avoid them, too. Manhandla goes down relatively easily, and gives me 5 Rupees as a reward. Really, Manhandla? Last time you gave me a fucking heart container. Continuing on, I find a room full of mummies and knights, but also a staircase. After killing the enemies I push away a block and descend, emerging in a room containing the dungeon's Secret Item! It's a Book of Magic, which apparently (according to the manual) increases the power of my Wand, letting me set things on fire with it!

I go back to the first room and go right, into a dark room which (when illuminated) has a messed up floor, some bats and slimes. Killing them, I realize I could bomb the walls in this room, as there is still some ground on each side. I don't have any bombs left, though, so I'll try later. Back at the start, I go upwards, finding ANOTHER Manhandla which goes down even faster than the first one. The room, however, is a dead end. I've reached as far as I can in this dungeon without bombs. Luckily this dungeon's within walking distance of a bomb seller! I'll just leave, buy some, then come back...

Back again, and I have to kill all the enemies in the right room again. I bomb the walls, but nothing happens. I go into the second Manhandla room (up), and bomb straight ahead. Yes! A secret door leading up! Inside, some blue knights and statues. I grab a key that sits in the middle, but nearly die in the process. With 1 heart left, I go up to escape, but come to another room full of enemies. I go back and, dodging the knights, unlock the door to the right. The Compass sits in the middle, but I'm killed by one of the many rabbits jumping around.

I go through the same rooms, getting back to the Compass room again. I collect it, but am killed again by another rabbit. The next time, I try to go to the room I tried to use to escape, but I have to kill all the blue knights in the previous room to unlock the door, who kill me. I'm not keen on starting over with 3 hearts, so I'm leaving to heal at a Fountain and get some bloody potions, both locations are near Dungeon 4.

I whistle to 4, but when I get to the potion shop I find I've only got 40 rupees, not nearly enough to buy a double potion. I'm not settling for that single-use crap, so I'm off to save up some money for it. After healing, I run around the place killing enemies. Also, now that I've got an infinite fire source (candle), I just go around burning every bush I come to. This finds me a staircase with a kind moblin inside, getting 10 extra rupees, a grumpy old man who demands I pay him 20 rupees, and another friendly moblin giving me 10. After fucking around near the bottom-left of the map, I see a dent in the cliff face, which is a little suspicious. I bomb around it and find a cave with a VERY friendly moblin, giving me 30 rupees! I've definetly got enough money, now! I head back, buy a double potion, heal again then Whistle to 2 and walk back to 8.

Back at the knight rooms, I try using my wand to kill them. They apparently aren't damaged by it, though, so I have to resort to swords and bombs again. Further in, I encounter another Gohma, who died easy enough by Arrow once she opened her eye for long enough. Past her, an old man gives me advice: "SPECTACLE ROCK IS AN ENTRANCE TO DEATH." Death? As in Death Mountain? The location of the Final Dungeon? That's interesting, old man. Thank you.

I go back to find a room full of rabbits and mummies, but also another key. Further down, another key guarded by several red knights. The red ones are easy enough, they die in one hit. It's the blue ones that annoy me. Even further, there's a group of mummies and both kinds of knights guarding a staircase. Inside, an alleyway to a room on the other side of the dungeon, filled with rabbits. I have to use one of my potions to survive, finally killing them all and progressing left. More red knights and statues await. In the next room, yet another old man tells me "10TH ENEMY HAS THE BOMB." Alas, old man, I know of your ramblings, and how badly translated they were. There is no tenth enemy, is there. I'm sorry, you senile old fool. I'll leave you in peace.

Back through the alley, I look in each room for ways I haven't been yet. The monsters have respawned, so I have to kill them all again, using up my second potion in all the chaos. In a knight room I try bombing a group of them, but accidentally reveal a hidden doorway. I LOVE those moments, don't you? Desparation leads to revelation? It's brilliant. Through the hole in the wall a third Manhandla awaits, dying in one bomb hit and rewarding me with some bombs and the Dungeon Map! The shape is revealed to be... a head of some kind? Maybe a horse? Googling now... Aha! Dungeon Eight: Lion Dungeon! It's a hell of a lot more beleivable than the last few dungeons, I'll say.

Through the next door, another Gohma lies. There are also statues, which make avoiding fireballs all the more difficult. It takes a little longer to get enough arrows through her eye, but she finally falls. Past her, more red knights guard this dead end of a room. My reward for killing them is a set of bombs. I can take a hint, Lion Dungeon. I bomb the walls to find... nothing. Oh. Well that was a waste of a bomb gift. I go back to the last Manhandla room and head right, bombing the rabbits and knights who wait there. There's another staircase, leading down to another Secret Item: THE LION KEY! YES! My spare 3 keys are totally useless now, because I've got the MASTER KEY! In your FACE, locked doors!

Back up the stairs, there appears to be a room to my left with no other access. I bomb the wall and get through, killing the rabbits inside (receiving some bombs in return) and going into the Lion's Eye to get 10 rupees! According to my maps, there are only 2 other rooms I haven't been in yet: the Triforce room and the Boss room. I'll backtrack to bomb each side of the Boss room to break through. I manage to get to two sides, neither of which yield access, before being killed by a knight.

Now I know where to go, I'm preparing myself. I leave the dungeon to heal and buy another set of potions (having to kill some more things to get enough money again) before heading back in. It takes me several attempts and both of my potions to get past the Rabbit room past the staircase (my third try teaching me that the rabbits die INSTANTLY with arrows, which also run through them). I get to the Old Man room and walk up to the room to the right, the only other possible entrance to the Boss of Lion Dungeon... and realize I'm out of bombs.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I have to leave the fucking dungeon AGAIN and buy more bombs. Then I do the whole fuckery again and get back to the same place, bomb the wall, and enter.

It's Gleeock again, this time with 4 HEADS! I don't even hesitate, I just run up and start fucking SWINGING. I even bomb his body, which actually does something this time. Each head flies off when it's defeated, shooting at me more. It almost kills me, but finally the whole things just explodes and the door to the Triforce opens. I pick up the Final Heart Container and head inside.

There it is. The final piece of the Triforce. The music plays and I escape the dungeon, checking my inventory just to marvel at the sight before me. I have the Triforce, readers. It is mine. All that's left to do is find Death Mountain and defeat Ganon. According to the game manual, now that I have all 8 pieces of the Triforce, my Whistle can take me straight to the entrance to Death Mountain.

Next time, readers, is the beginning of The End.


Progress:
Hearts:   16 (MAX)
Rupies:   14
Bombs:    6
Keys:     A
Items:    MAGICAL SWORDMAGIC SHIELDMAGIC BOOMERANGBOW+ARROW, BLUE CANDLE, BOMBS, RAFT, STEPLADDER, LETTER, RED BRACELET, BLUE RING, WHISTLE, WAND, BOOK OF MAGIC, LION KEY
Dungeons: EAGLE(1), MOON(2), MANJI(3), SNAKE(4), LIZARD(5), DRAGON(6), DEMON(7), LION(8)
Deaths:   74

No comments:

Post a Comment